Daisley Law Offices, P.C.

Experience And Results Are What Matter

After the accident: What happens when money runs out?

You're still in shock. If you had just taken a different route, left five minutes earlier, not had the radio on, this would never have happened. You would be fine, your family would be fine and you would be at work--where you belong. This should never have happened.

It's natural to feel that if you had made one small change, the accident you were in would never have occurred. It's a huge adjustment, and it is just our way of trying to make sense of it all. But re-hashing the past can't help. Moving forward, making plans and knowing all the compensation to which you are entitled, can.

Are there options for other revenue?

Often, after a personal injury case, there is a lump-sum settlement. Occasionally that settlement may be in the form of a monthly payment over many years. Either way, it is almost assured that at some point, money will start to be tight. Without being able to go back to work, how are you and your family going to make it?

Back when you got your first job, you had a mandatory deduction taken: FICA--which stands for the Federal Insurance Contribution Act. That deduction was a premium payment for disability insurance covered by the Social Security Administration (SSA.) You paid that deduction so that, in the event that you ever became unable to work, you could collect from the insurance fund you paid into.

There are some stipulations. First, you must have paid into the fund long enough to accumulate 40 credits. These credits are awarded for each $1260.00 you earn. So, even someone working part-time can accumulate credits. The maximum credits awarded each year is 4.

What if my injury is not life-long?

Second, you must have a condition or illness that will keep you from working for at least one year or more. This is very important information. People often think they must have a life-long disability in order to collect from the SSA.

This is not true. Many people use it while they battle a long-term illness, and once recovered, return to work. Your injury may be life-long or it may be something that improves after a year or so of treatment. If you fall into either category, you may be eligible for SSA benefits.

If you have been hurt in an accident, make sure you talk to your attorney about the possibility of applying for SSA benefits. After all, it is a benefit you have been paying toward for years, and you and your family deserve financial peace while you are recovering.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • North Carolina Advocates for Justice Protecting People’s rights
  • NOSSCR National Organization of Social Security Claimants’ Representatives
  • American Association for Justice formerly the Association of Trial Lawyers of America ATLA
  • ABA American Bar Association
  • NOVA
  • North Carolina State Bar
Contact our firm today

Contact any of our law offices

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Charlotte (Main Office) 1419 E 7TH ST Charlotte, NC 28204 Toll Free: 866-624-8781 Phone: 704-594-4135 Charlotte Law Office Map

Fayetteville By Appointment Only Fayetteville, NC 28304 Toll Free: 866-624-8781 Phone: 704-594-4135

Raleigh By Appointment Only Raleigh, NC 27615 Toll Free: 866-624-8781 Phone: 704-594-4135

Review Us